Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Leila Akahloun (Class of 1995)

Leila Akahloun
Hometown/country: 
Washington, DC, USA

Year graduated from ISB: 1993-1995 (Class of 1995) 

Post-ISB education:

  • Georgetown University - BS in International Politics (Class of 1999)
  • Univerity of Chicago - MA in International Relations (Class of 2000)

 Current work position: Senior Engagement Manager, BroadReach based in Johannesburg, South Africa.  BroadReach is a global consulting firm dedicated to improving the health and well-being of populations in emerging economies around the globe through the strategic use of technology and data analytics. (www.brhc.com)

Activities at ISB: BEIMUN, THIMUN, Volleyball

 How did ISB prepare you for your current career? 

ISB provided me with a solid academic foundation and eye-opening international experiences through my participation at THIMUN and BEIMUN events. I was able to handle my undergraduate and graduate classes with relative ease thanks to the rigor of the IB curriculum at ISB, which then positioned me well to pursue a career in international development.

What was your favorite subject at ISB? 

My favorite subject and teacher were Higher Level IB English and Ms. Mary Stein, respectively. Ms. Stein taught Higher Level IB English and kept us all on our toes when it came to correct grammar, critical thinking, and the art of writing. She stimulated my intellectual curiosity through her selection of reading material, held us to high standards, and opened my world to the beautiful world of African literature.

What is your favorite ISB memory?

Our international volleyball tournaments in Japan rank among my most favorite memories.  I don't think we ever won a tournament, but it was a lot of fun traveling as representatives of ISB and pretending we were at the Olympics!

Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?

Hopefully working in the international development space accelerating social change and continuing to travel the world, and still well connected to the life long friends I've made at ISB.

What do you still hope to achieve?

There are many things I’ve yet to check off my bucket list, like  a boat ride down the Amazon River, skiing the Swiss Alps, and a return trip to Beijing for a reunion with as many of my former classmates as possible!

Leila is ISB's Africa Region Alumni Representative and one of ISB's Class of 1995 Alumni Representatives.

To Join ISB's Africa Region Alumni Group, a Facebook page for International School of Beijing alumni living, working and/or interested in Africa, click here: http://ift.tt/2bImEg4



from Finalsite Academy News http://ift.tt/2bocGhK

No comments:

Post a Comment